[linux-audio-user] My new mouse done ate my alsa sound

From: M P Smoak <smoak@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 11 2007 - 08:44:50 EET

Please forgive me but I've got say: Don't tell me my sys is old
and OS version is ancient. It worked a few days ago to my
satisfaction. I'm sick of hearing it.

I'm running planet-ccrma rh9 on my machine Songbird for a long time
now. I know it's old. Dave P. put together for me several years
ago. And it's met my needs. I've tried (without success) to replace
it with a new machine; never got sound to work, power supply fan
sounds like a jet plane taking off; it'll work "some day".

But Songbird kept working; reliable in spades.

Last week, the mouse (acting odd for a long time) got too bad to
use. So I take my friends advice and go to a usb mouse. Halt the
machine; pull the ps2 mouse and plug in the use mouse.

Boot; all seems to work well; all works except SOUND! Except my
old standby, Realplayer. Alsaplayer doesn't play. Soundfont loads
for my SBlive, alsa patch bay appears to work, QA mix looks as
usual, ....

We had no keyboard for our session tonight.

With RH9, I think I know, Reaplayer forces use of OSS emulation from
ALSA. It works; I'm sitting here listening to CJRT via Realplayer
now. My keyboard is dead.

USB is stepping on ALSA. I've searched, looked at all the logs I can
find and damned it I have any idea what's happened or how to fix it if
it's fixable. I'm searching for a working ps2 mouse too.

I love linux, and computers, but they sure make saxophones seem simple.

Marv real irritated in Lex, KY