Re: [linux-audio-user] [RME HDSP 9632] Firmware downgrade - WAS: No sound

From: Dragan Noveski <perodog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 11 2007 - 20:40:08 EET

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 15:15 +0100, Dragan Noveski wrote:
>

>> i am running a multiface very well here and don't know which firmware is
>> flashed in.
>>

> lspci will show the rev number, which is the same as the firmware
> version.
>

>> but there is 1: firmware which is flashed into the card
>> 2: the firmware drivers from alsa, on my system still
>> the old demudi package, sth. like 1.09..
>>

> you're confused, but i don't blame you :) the ALSA driver doesn't
> actually load firmware into the IO box, it loads a configuration file
> into the IO box. This contents of the config data depend on the actual
> firmware present on the PCI interface. nothing on linux updates the
> actual firmware.
>

>> so if i update the firmware drivers to 1.0.13 i should not expect breakage?
>>

> if you are talking about upgrading ALSA to 1.0.13, then you should be
> just fine.
>
> --p

hi paul - very much thanks for clarifying the things for me!

what i actually plan to do is to remove all the debian packaged stuff
from my box and to install alsa from source - so the alsa stuff will
become independent from the dpkg!

already have downloaded all the 1.0.13 alsa stuff and (of course) i am
only afraid to break the system and don't get sound out of the box anymore.

i looked into alsadrivers and since i want to have my multiface, an
terratec usb device and my onboard sound running, i think that:

./configure --with-isapnp=no --with-sequencer=yes --with-oss=yes
--with-pcm-oss-plugins=yes
--with-cards=virmidi,seq-dummy,hdsp,intel8x0,usb-audio
--with-card-options=all

should be fine for me, cause it is matching the stuff i have switched on
in my kernel configuration. what do you think about??

as i found out, once the drivers are compiled, building the
libs/tools/utils and replacing the demudi-firmware-loaders-v1.0.9 with
the alsa-firmware-loaders-v1.0.13 should be more trivial.

any thoughts about this??

cheers,
doc