Re: [LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty -- musicisjustone path

From: Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 12:59:31 EEST

On Thursday 05 April 2007, Paul Davis wrote:

> i don't think you're correct there. for a start, the modes we use in
> western classical, religious and popular were not often used 500 years
> ago. the influences that jazz has introduced into much western music
> would have been mostly unknown 500 years ago, because jazz itself didn't
> exist then. the notions of fugues and counterpoint were (mostly)
> developed 400 years ago in western europe - before that time having two
> melodic lines in opposite motion but also harmonizing would have
> probably sounded very odd.

I don't think it would sound too odd. It's just that noone thought of the idea
before..

I am very much convinced that if i would take miles davis' "kind of blue" and
sound (religious zealots aside)..

It's kinda like with inventions. Afterwards it's easy to understand. The
difficult, time consuming part is coming up with them :)

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org