Re: [LAU] rumble, motor-like sound. What frequency to set notch filter?

From: Brad Fuller <brad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 17:12:51 EEST

millward wrote:
> I'm trying ot clean up a WAV file that has a low sounding rumble, motor-like
> sound, sort of up and down. It's lower than the bass line. I'm finding this
> hard to describe in words. I'm using the Gnome Wave Cleaner and its got
> a notch filter but I don't know what frequency to set it for. I do know people
> hear from about 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, on a good day, so would maybe 50 Hz
> to 100 Hz would be a good start?

"up and down" sounds dynamic, so you either need a wider range or
several. The best way is empirical: try a wide range and a deep cut of
where you believe the sound to be worst. After that, adjust it narrower
and listen for the offending sound and also move the center freq around
until you hit it. Then experiment with the deepness until you get it to
where you are happy with the compromise (compromise because you are
affecting the sound of the program, of course.)

--
brad fuller
 http://www.Sonaural.com/