Re: [LAU] Advice / Listeners needed

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 01:48:12 EEST

Le Jeu, 10 May 2007 18:10:19 -0400,
"Charles Linart" <clinart@email-addr-hidden> a écrit :

> I actually liked the percussion. Synthesis of different styles is how
> music evolves. What would Sgt. Peppers have been without the
> orchestras, sitars and whatnot? What would Chuck Berry have been if
> he hadn't incorporated country? (just another bluesman) What would
> Buddy Holly have been if he hadn't enjoyed the blues? (just another
> country singer)

Take also for instance the legendary Alegrian singer Cheika Rimitti.
She's now maybe 80 years old, if not more. Not that long ago she made a
CD that included, amongst others, Robert Fripp (King Crimson), Flea
(RHCP) and Bruce Fowler (from Zappa). The remix CD had even more
Frippertronics.

Or, to stay closer to the source here, take Hubert Von Goisern and his
accordion. He has incorporated the style played in the Alps into a
more rock/jazzy framework, but there's a blend.

Or take any modern trad band such as Varttina (Finland), Hedningarna
(Sweden/Finland), les Batinses (Quebec), etc... A lot of bands use
traditional or 'exotic' references in a playful manner.

Examples of mixed genres abound. But to be successful they indeed have
to be mixed. The remotly oriental percussion in the current example
just feels stranded on their own. There's no mix. It's like, hey,
Jesus comes from the orient, so let's add a bit of 'oriental' percussion
in our otherwise very 4/4 song. Without any blending, without even any
slight harmonic reference to the Orient, or Middle-East. It doesn't
come across, I think, as a synthesis of different styles.

My two cents.

Cheers.