Re: [LAU] New Linux Music

From: Chris McCormick <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 12 2007 - 07:29:22 EEST

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 01:48:32AM -0400, Rob wrote:
> 10 years ago I was using a program called Vaz that emulated a
> 3-oscillator analog synth with portamento and ring mod and other
> nifty stuff, and ran without a hiccup on my 100MHz 486 box
> running Win95. I know Zyn (like other modern softsynths) is
> capable of doing a lot more, but shouldn't it be able to do a
> monophonic two-oscillator synth on a P3 of any speed without
> hiccupping and without needing to install unofficial kernel
> patches and whatnot?

Pure Data has always performed well for me on lower end hardware and
i've never run anything but Debian pre-compiled kernels with no pre-empt
stuff. Of course, it depends what you're doing, but definately for a
couple of oscillators doing simple subtractive/additive synthesis it
works beautifully on slower machines. Not sure about 100MHz though!
Started using it on a 500MHz machine, so that is definately ok.

Chris.