[LAU] building a debian system for audio

From: Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 23 2007 - 18:19:14 EEST

Good morning all,

Lately there has been some posts from me and others about the lack of
a recent version of jack in the debian repos. I tried an approach
this week that didn't quite work out, but I think I'm on the right
track, and I wanted to see what everyone thought.

I installed debian from the net install cd, and installed only the
base system. I apt-got (forgive the made-up word) the very basic
stuff - xorg, fluxbox, aterm, screen, etc. Then I began to download
the most recent version of the applications I use - jack, qjackctl,
dssi and brethern, etc. - and things seemed to work okay; I had the
most recent versions of most everything I use. Everything was fine
until I needed something (can't remember what) that depended on
libjack0.100.whatever. I installed it, and things fell apart...apt
wanted to install some things, remove others, and essentially
everything was f*cked.

So where did I go wrong? I've been reading Ken Restivo's blog lately
(great blog, b/t/w), and he has actually built debian packages from
source of what he needs - is that the solution I'm looking for? Is my
approach good or flawed, and what should I do differently?

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com