Re: [LAU] Problems with RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface

From: nescivi <nescivi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 31 2007 - 21:13:41 EEST

Hiho,

On Thursday 31 May 2007 17:58:53 ns wrote:
> Warning: Long message below...
>
> After reaching a dead-end for the zillionth time during the last month,
> I have decided to finally post my experiences here.. I apologize if
> that's gonna end up feeling like a short novel, feel free to ignore it :)
>
> To start up, my current ALSA information sits here -->
> http://pastebin.ca/525842
>
> I have an RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface combo sound card on an Intel(R)
> Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz machine with 2GB RAM, running Ubuntu Edgy
> that currently seems closer to an Ubuntu Feisty after all the upgrades I
> have done on it and a simiral machine that still has the default Ubuntu
> Edgy Server Edition on it with no software upgrades..

For what it's worth, I recently got an RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface running on
my machine, which is an IBM Thinkpad R51, running Debian Linux, original
install was 64studio (32-bit), and it's now pretty much on Debian unstable,
through upgrades. (But I guess that the 64studio install ensured all sound
devices load properly?).

After fiddling with it quite a bit, I got it to work with the .asoundrc pasted
below in my homefolder.

The system sees the card at startup and loads the firmware properly, and I can
use the card without any problems.

The only problems that occur are when I insert the PCMCIA card later with the
box attached. Then the system hangs. I.e. I need to have the card inside and
the box attached at startup, it seems.
Also, having the PCMCIA card inside prevents the sleep/hibernate states to
work properly.

I hope this helps,
sincerely,
Marije