[LAU] ubuntu xserver eating my cpu

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 23 2007 - 10:40:08 EEST

Hi

I'm (still) in the process of trying to set things up as nicely under
ubuntu as they are under debian. Now I'm having rocksteady realtime
performance under heavy load, but the guis get very sluggish, whereas
whey used to be quite good under debian.

An example test project uses about 58% for jack-stuff. But while htop
under debian lists x as using about 6% it's about 50% under ubuntu.
Total cpu usage under debian is about 90% (still very responsive) while
under ubuntu it's 100% (and very unresponsive). I'm not sure if it
matters but I notices that x/debian runs at priority -15 (the number
says "15") and x/ubuntu is -25 (the number is "25"). If this number
matters what should it be and how do I change it?

What could it be that is so different under ubuntu that it's x is so
much more cpu hungry? Any idea where to look to narrow the problem down?
Where can I read more about how to configure x to behave the best under
heavy realtime load?

The setups are almost identical: xorg, openbox, ardour (2.0.3 from
source), ghostess (from source), + recent specimen and zynaddsubfx.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte