Re: [LAU] Ati driver installation for low latency kernel (Kubuntu)

From: Matthias Schönborn <mbs1303@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 31 2007 - 19:08:11 EEST

> If you have not already done so, I think you will need to change the
> /usr/src/linux symlink to point to the kernel which you are attempting
> to install the ATI driver into before installing the driver.

> Might be the case with ati, but nvidia and low-latency/realtime are
> perfectly(?) compatible. Only you won't get help from the kernel-devs for
> problems with the nvidia-module loaded. But it works...

Ross, thanks for the hint - I tried it out, but sadly it didn't work.

Actually, the problem seems to be independent of the kernels themselves: Let's
say I've installed the driver for the low latency kernel and it works with it
perfectly well, as it - in fact - is at the moment. So if I boot with the
generic kernel, the driver doesn't work with it (notice that it still works
if I boot with the low latency kernel). Now if I install the driver (while
running the generic kernel) and restart X (no reboot necessary), the driver
works perfectly well again - But then it stops working with the low latency
kernel! Until I boot the low latency kernel again, install the driver and
restart X (notice that it then again stops working with the genric kernel).

In my opinion theres a parameter that is reset during installation, but I
don't know how to prevent that resetting or to set it manually. I just hoped
that there was somebody with the same problem who already solved it - because
I think if you didn't experience this problem yourself, I think it's very
hard to solve it, right?

So at the moment I'm thinking of either just using the low latency kernel, as
suggested, but then my battery lasts (at fully dimmed display and 50% cpu
frequency and, well, amarokk playing) only 1:45h (I'm using the KDE Power
Manager to set these settings automatically); Or of reinstalling the driver
everytime I boot a different kernel as before. The latter is not a really
pleasant solution, but on the other hand it doesn't take very long.

If there are any suggestions, I'll try them out, otherwise I think I'll have
to stick with those solutions above...

Regards
Matthias