Re: [LAU] Please help the newbie set up USB interface.

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 26 2007 - 04:59:09 EEST

On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 18:19 -0400, Paul DeShaw wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am at a loss how to make JACK recognize and connect my M-Audio Ozone MIDI keyboard controller/audio interface. I have searched the archives here, as well as Ubuntu forums. Is there anywhere else I could look? So far I have been able to use the Ozone as the soundcard for some applications, including (finally) Rosegarden. I can play a MIDI file with some synth plugins. I cannot control anything from the Ozone; it is not recognized by JACK as a MIDI client. I was also getting tons of xruns, but I fiddled with the frame rate and other parameters, and it seems to be much better now.
>
> I am running Ubuntu Studio (32 bit) on an AMD 64 processor.
>
> The graphics card is a low-end ATI, built in to the cheap ECS mobo. I am at a coffee shop now and can't get the exact models.
>
> Please tell me what else you need to know.

cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /proc/asound/devices
lsmod | grep snd_seq
lsmod | grep snd-seq
aconnect -o
aconnect -i

> Would I be better off with another interface? This one came with my Pro Tools setup, and I would like to save money by using it in everything. If I can successfully migrate to Linux for audio, I could get rid of the Ozone (and Pro Tools! Free at last!), but would like to stick with USB so I can use it with my Apple laptop (MacBook with Intel Core Duo at 2GHz). That's what I run Pro Tools on, and, hopefully, Ubuntu Studio at some point.

the device should work OK AFAIK.

> My needs are simple.

Thats what everyone thinks :)

Your biggest problem is a shared filesystem. There really isn't a good
choice for what to use as a shared common filesystem between any two of
Windows/Linux/OS X. Making it all three is even harder. If you don't
have a common filesystem, it means you have to partition the disk to
hold different filesystems for different boots, and already the system
is starting to look less ideal.

--p