Re: [LAU] USB device gives wrong data?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 22 2007 - 09:53:34 EEST

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 02:44:08PM -0700, william estrada wrote:

> When I use my laptop's sound device and record without a mic, I get
> a file full of x'7f's. If I do the same with my cheap-o USB device
> I get a file full of x'81's. The sound quality from the laptop is
> unacceptable, so that is way I want to use the USB device.

Those values are somewhat confusing - your device doesn't produce
8-bit samples, does it ?

A 'perfect' interface would probably produce zeros on silence.
You may be seeing a small DC offset.

Anyway, silence detection based on one particular sample value can't
be expected to work well, there will always be _some_ noise. Better
calculate the RMS amplitude and set a threshold on that.

--
FA
Parma, Italia