Re: [LAU] [jack] not running (permissions)[solved]

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 05 2008 - 17:46:13 EET

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 11:16 +0000, Studio 32 wrote:
> Sorry, another question about something I want to understand...
>
> It about conflicting 'sound-systems' like alsa and jack.

they don't conflict, JACK uses ALSA. but we know what you mean.

> When I start for example qjackctl I'll get a message about problems with connection to alsa midi sequencer or something.
> I can solve that issue with: modprobe snd-seq

yes, most non-music-oriented distributions have, for some reason,
decided not to load the ALSA MIDI router/sequencer module by default. it
is a shame.

> But when I quit jack and want for example use tuxguitar with a custom soundbank, I can get sound anymore... Is that because of snd which is running in the background? How can I stop that process?

JACK more or less requires exclusive access to the audio interface
hardware. If you want to run an application that does not interface with
JACK (and these days, most music-creation related applications do), you
do have to stop JACK. If JACK is not running and tuxguitar still cannot
run, the problem is with some system daemon that has taken control of
the audio interface. the command

   fuser /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p

will reveal which process has the playback device open.

--p