Re: [LAU] Soundtrack from recorded TV

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 08:50:22 EET

lanas wrote:
> Le Dimanche, 27 Janvier 2008 10:47:40 +0100,
> Frank Barknecht <fbar@footils.org> a écrit :
>
>> "Faust" is a silent movie so doesn't have a regular soundtrack at
>> all.
>
> I must differ on this. The version shown on TV had a great
> soundtrack. Way much better than what Moroder did once for this
> other old German movie "Metropolis" ! Thing is, it seems no credit are
> given to the composer/band who did it and IMDB lists several versions
> with different composers.
>
> "Faust - Eine deutsche Volkssage"
> http://imdb.com/title/tt0016847/combined
>
> The beginning song for the credits (the only song in the movie) sounds
> a bit like some In Extremo (the German folk metal band with the
> bagpipes) but the rest is way out of their domain. When some very short
> processed voices are introduced as the movie goes towards conclusion
> around the time Gretchen is in prison and dreaming of past days it
> becomes totally eerie.
>
> I sure would like to know who did that score since that person might
> very well have other interesting recordings.
>
> For some it might be sacrilege to do this for a silent movie; for me
> it's a great mesmerizing soundtrack :-)

Every "silent" movie had a sound track - a score that was played by what
were known at the time as theater pipe organs (or something like that).
When I was in high school, my home town had a pizza place that had a
theater pipe organ in it, and once or twice a month they would play old
silent movies and their organist (who had made his living during the
silent movie era playing organ in theaters for these movies) played the
sound tracks. They were pretty good!

--
David
gnome@hawaii.rr.com