Re: [LAU] dynamic backing tracks

From: Chuckk Hubbard <badmuthahubbard@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 12 2008 - 18:55:28 EET

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Atte André Jensen
<atte.jensen@gmail.com> wrote:
> nescivi wrote:
>
> > With something like SuperCollider, Pd or Chuck you can create something that
> > takes MIDI or gamecontroller input to start and stop tracks. You might even
> > get an external USB number pad to do that.
>
> I know, I did that with chuck. My main issue is that I have no visual
> feedback. I assigned track on/off to qwerty... but have a hard time
> remembering what track is on "q" in this particular tune. Also I cannot
> see if track "q" is running or not.
>
> But I just got an idea: Would it be possible to do keyboard -> pd ->
> chuck. Keyboard could be both laptop keyboard and midi keyboard, pd ->
> chuck could be via osc. PD could (maybe) provide visual feedback and
> either be controlled directly with mouse or be a slave interface
> replicating what-ever comes in from keyboard or midi. Would that be
> possible?

Should be a piece of cake. You could set up some Pd data structures
to reflect the states of various things, or just use the GUI built-in
toggles and bangs and such.
I've been using Pd with the [csoundapi~] object a great deal lately,
and it's the best combination I've found. Alas, I don't use it for
live stuff, and I'm afraid Csound often makes Pd crash with no
warning. I think if the Csound patch isn't altered after it is found
to be stable it should be okay, but I change mine often, and so save
my work often.

If you just want Pd for visual feedback, why not control chuck
directly, and perhaps use OSC to control Pd from chuck. Could be iffy
to make the audio dependent on the GUI app, and anyway then if Pd
encounters problems (to put it nicely) the sound won't crash.

-Chuckk

http://www.badmuthahubbard.com