Re: [LAU] loud noise out of external soundcard in the bandroom when AC-powered

From: Georg Holzmann <grh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 17 2008 - 13:40:23 EET

Hallo!

> First a warning, whatever you do: do NOT disconnect any earthing pins from
> any equipment to defeat the loop. Doing such things will put you and your
> equipment at danger.

Are you sure ?
Usually the only device with a ground is the power supply unit of the
laptop, this is a common problem with laptops+audio.

However, this ground is usually only for the power supply unit and not
for the laptop (there are only 2 cables going of it to the laptop DC input).
For example I bought a new power supply unit which has no ground at all
(they exist and don't come with any warning) and have no more problems ...

Before that I always removed the grounds (I put a plastic on them),
which could be dangerous of course ...

I don't want to suggest removing the grounds, rather I want to know
what other people think, if the ground is really necessary for the
laptop or if it is just for the power supply unit ?

LG
Georg