Re: [LAU] EQing headerless raw audio

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 17 2008 - 15:38:29 EET

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 4:46 AM, Simon Williams
<simon@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Keeping the audio at maximum values as far as you can through the
> > audio chain is best for signal-to-noise, etc., and the audio at the
> > start of your pipe is doing that. EQing is now a subjective step you
> > are adding, presumably for good reason. To do this you cut the other
> > EQ bands so as to allow the band you want to be more promenent to come
> > through. You might just do this with a volume control at the front end
> > of your EQ unit, or you might adjust each of the unwanted bands. The
> > two options may have different sonic characteristics. Play with it and
> > hear for yourself.
>
> Right. The question now is how do I control the overall volume? Is there
> anything in the header which says how loud the track is? Not that that
> will help here- I think my only option is to tell the mplayer at the end
> of the pipe to turn it up a bit.

If the data is 'headerless' (I'm not a programmer so I cannot help you
with that part) then there is no header to tell you anything, is
there?

I think the general path you are looking for is that if you logically
want to raise a single band of EQ by 10db then what you really want to
do physically is cut the level of the other 9 bands by 10db leaving
the one you want at 0db cut. If you want to adjust the level of your
player at the end of the chain to get a final volume that's probably a
good feature to build in but in general I *think* that the final level
in mplayer should be viewed as a way of leveling different audio
sources as different audio files have a small/large degree of
variation in overall volume.

Hope this helps,
Mark