Re: [LAU] Configuration for a FREE professionnal studio : your minds about my proposal

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 13:55:55 EET

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 4:23 AM, Aurelien <orl@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > Did you mean the RME HDSP 9632? Or the 9652?
>
> Oh, yeah, I meant RME HDSP9652. Sorry.

Ok clears things up a bit there.

> > I don't understand why you
> > would run a Multiface into it though, since the multiface is designed to
> > connect to a different RME interface card natively.
>
> Which card?
> I've to say, the aim is to get 16 or 24 tracks, don't know if the
> dedicated card and then the ADAT links let this be?

Hmm not on the multiface so much, but concidering your setup the digiface
would likely be a better choice. At any rate the interface cards...

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_pci_interface.php
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_pci_e_interface.php

Difference being PCI vs PCI-E

And the Digiface interface, which sounds like it would be a better choice
than the Multiface for what you are looking for, as you are aiming for
external pres and converters...

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_digiface.php#3

The Digiface will do 12 channels of ADAT at 24/96 or 24 Channels at
24/48-24/44.1 if memory serves on a single unit.

Interesting while there I noticed RME had a new card out that, the Ray-DAT.
Random things. Don't know if it is supported in Linux or not, it likely
might be without much work, but sometimes it is better not to risk it.

> > I run/ran a 9632
> > myself, and ran via ADAT some mic pres into it and was happy with that.
> Get
> > some good quality pres, even the RME OctoPre is an option if you want to
> > stick with them.
>
> As we use the TL-Audios preamp, s we don't want the Octopre options.
> There something I can't figure out in what you say: how do you run your
> pre(amp?)s with ADAT? If so, they have to have ADC, don't they?
> TL-Audios don't, and I prefer to have good ADCs (dedicated).

Yes, depending on the circumstance the Pres I used had AD/DA built in, or I
ran them through some. In as far as your situation, I gotta be honest and
admit I like the Apogee stuff for the AD/DA situation, and it might make a
good pair with those TL-Audio pres, though I haven't used the TL-Audio pres
to comment on them myself.

Hmm I did notice the reccomendation for the 15K SCSI hard drives. I am not
sure I agree with that particular reccomendation over a RAID array with
two(Or twice as many) 7200 Hard Drives myself. Last I heard them those
15ks, and even the 10ks were pretty loud. Personal preference there, but
something to keep in mind depending on where your drives are located.

      Seablade