Re: [LAU] Decent and attractive audio player

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 28 2008 - 09:57:48 EEST

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:49 PM, cdr <_@email-addr-hidden-your.name> wrote:
> > Oh yes, I experienced this Problem as well. 10k tracks may still work,
> > but at a certain point amarok(as most audioplayers) just get unusable.
> > I know that amarok supports different database backends, but I honestly
> > just don't know how to administrate such a beast.
> > mpd is the only one I know that can handle huge collections out of the
> > box and creates the library a lot faster than amarok(with standard db)
>
> how big is the collection youre working with.
>
> and what is the index-rescan time?
>
> i cant help but think the real solution is something like BeFS..
>
> its too bad we're still stuck in 1970 on that tip..though i should check Haiku and Reiser4 to see if either of them are close to being usable
>
> last i tried the POSIX extended attrs stuff on reiser it didnt work. and the querying is virtually nonexistent..

on my machine if i click rebuild database amarok uses 100% of cpu time
(1 out of 4 core) for a quite a few / many hours before I give up and
kill it. It worked a while ago but broke when i last updated amarok. I
had just ripped some Bela Fleck though so maybe it has something
against the banjo. I'm not sure if it's to do with unicode. All my
tags are in unicode as i've got english, german, russian and korean
tags. The cyrillic stuff is all in the db fine though.

Loki