Re: [LAU] Routing Freebob Capture->ALSA PCM through jack

From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 11:52:27 EEST

Tristan Koen wrote:
> I have an M-Audio Firewire Solo that I use in conjunction with Ardour
> and JACK+freebob for recording purposes. There are times though that I
> would find it convenient to route the output of Ardour to ALSA rather
> than the firewire device. The setup would ideally look as follows:
>
> Firewire Solo -> Jack+freebob -> Ardour -> ALSA_PCM
>
> I have been tearing my hair out trying to get this setup to work and
> have had no success whatsoever. The closest I got was using the
> Pulseaudio jack-source-module, but this crashes after a few seconds (on
> Ubuntu Hardy + Pulseaudio Jack Plugin from Debian/unstable).
>
> Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

To be honest, this is not going to work very well from a "professional
audio quality" point of view. Current jack does not support the use of
multiple backends, and that's not going to change for jack 1.0. For jack
2.0 it will be possible, but that's not for soon.

However it is possible (what isn't?). Start jack the way you normally
do, then launch the "alsa_out" tool installed along with modern jack
installs. It will present your alsa device as a jack client to which you
can connect ardour.

Greets,

Pieter Palmers