Re: [LAU] DVD creator ?

From: Wolfgang Woehl <tito@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 20 2008 - 20:15:35 EEST

Dave Phillips:
> Greetings,
>
> I've encoded some AVS animations that I'd like to burn as
> DVD-format files. I want to be able to play the DVD in a regular
> DVD player/drive.

To make fully fledged dvd's I came to use qdvdauthor after some amount
of research. It's somewhat clunky (Mostly wrt to what it puts where
and why, tmp dirs, importing stuff etc.) but it actually does
everything related to dvd-authoring (Menu navigation, background
images/videos/sound etc.). In the end it gives you a VIDEO_TS that
you can write to a silver platter.

Please don't hesitate to ask if the unlikely need for some
hand-holding through the process should come up.

> The files are currently in AVI format, with 800x600 video and 48
> kHz audio resolutions. I tried the directions (NTSC + AC3) for
> mencoder here:

If you can produce dvd conformant scaling and framerate in AVS with
good quality then that would be preferrable to any later adjustments.

You can use "ffmpeg -i video.file -target ntsc-dvd video.mpg" to
up/downscale and "adjust" framerate. This invovlves fairly good
quality size scaling and simply dropping/duplicating frames wrt
framerate.

(To actually interpolate frames you could try yuvmotionfps. I've used
it with very acceptable results to convert 30fps material from a
canon a710. Whereas the ffmpeg dropframe conversion makes high-motion
pans look unbearable the yuvmotionfps interpolation looks very ok on
a tv set. http://jcornet.free.fr/linux/yuvmotionfps.html)

Wolfgang