Re: [LAU] New to list

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Sat Aug 30 2008 - 18:17:28 EEST

Hi Kevin!
  For the distro: I think Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio are quite popular and easy
to use/install. I personally would put my bet on Debian Etch or Lenny.
  For the Kernels: If you are used to build them yourself, then it's good to
build an rt-patched kernel. Or find one for the Distro you choose. If you
build them from source:
www.kernel.org
  Project -> RT and then get the correct patch-version for the kernel you
choose. You'll have a few more options mainly under processor/general.
  Software to use and try:
Audacity is a rather simple start point from what I hear. (I use only
text-based software myself. If you're interested in that, I'll tag a list on
at the end.)
  Ardour and muse are the big ones. Ardour is rather complex but offers
probably more than you will need. Ardour comes from the audio world. Muse
comes from the MIDI world, but also has both MIDI and audio support. Also muse
has its own softsynth API with a few synths already in place.
  Normally we use either DSSI synths (disposable soft synth interface) or one
of those:
ZynAddSubFX - subtractive and additive synthesis (nice 80s sounds and very
warm synth pads and more)
Fluidsynth and its GUI qsynth - samplebased synthesis (sound in the .SF2
soundfont format) - see www.hammersound.net for free sounds to download
LinuxSampler and its GUIs jsampler or qsampler - for samples in
GigaSampler/GigaStudio format
  If you like programming there's csound and its partial GUIs (csound is a
programming language for sounds and synthesis, powerful and complex but
feature-rich) and there's CLM (common lisp music another lisp-based
programming language) and there's PD (PureData a graphical synthesis
(language?). Youget nice visual modules on your screen and can do nice things
with it.
  For Effects: There is LADSPA - Linux Audio Developer's Simple Plugin API and
its successor LV2. Both currently in use. A lot of linux audio tools accept
LADSPA and fewer (but still enough) can use LV2. If some synth doesn't support
LAXDSPA directly, there are some simple apps, that just load effects and let
you wire some other audio-app (i.e. softsynth or hardsynth) to it.
  For URLS see
http://linux-sound.org
and
http://apps.linuxaudio.org
  One thing you should take a quick look at, for it is CENTRAL to linux audio
today is JACKD (Jack Audio connection Kit) a lowlatency soundserver. It lets
you wire applications among themselves and connect apps to the soundcard I/Os.
http://www.jackaudio.org
  For the text-based world:
Still Linuxsampler (via telnet), ZynAddSubFX (only load and play), fluidsynth
(shell interface)
  For recording/processing of audio:
ecasound (shell interface) - record/process/mix
midish (shell interface) - MIDI sequencing (no alsaseq alas)
csound/clm - they can be done with any editor, clm best with emacs of course
  TiMidity - for simple MIDI playback/synthesis (it too uses soundFonts and
GUS patches, you get a set when downloading or installing from your distro)
  A lot of all the mentioned packages should be available with debian/Ubuntu
(maybe all of them).
  There's of course more, but nothing too basic. You'll get to those left in
time.
  HTH.
  Kindest regards
          Julien