[LAU] kicks

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 11 2008 - 17:31:57 EEST

Greetings,

Recently I decided to learn some well-known rock guitar solos
note-for-note, with the assistance of some Linux sound and music
software. Naturally I used Audacity to learn the solos exactly (Change
Tempo is just toot sweet), but I wanted to work on the sound of the
solos as well their notes. I found some nicely arranged MIDI files for
some of the tunes, I used Rakarrack for the effects, and I used
AlsaPlayer to play the audio files (where I couldn't find MIDI
arrangements). Great instructive fun.

I've worked out the solos to Cream's Badge and to Dire Straits' Sultans
Of Swing, now I'm on to Joe Perry's leads in Aerosmith's Walk This Way.
Yeh, pretty old school, but still great solos. It's excellent exercise
too, keeps me from getting bored. Sometimes Bach just doesn't rock
enough... :)

I've also been sequencing a pseudo techno demo, again using only Linux
audio softsynths, including AMS, QSynth, LinuxSampler (with sounds from
the PSIndustrializer synth), and the new Discovery VSTi (in JOST), with
help from the midirgui MIDI channel router and the mighty JACK. I'll
post the results when it's done.

Anyway, not to get all weepy here, but I wanted to take a moment to give
some thanks to the developers who make it all possible. So, thanks,
devs, your generosity is deeply appreciated.

Back to the rack...

Best,

dp