Re: [LAU] Linux audio course Rotterdam

From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 20:22:41 EEST

Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Brad Fuller wrote:
>> Sheesss....
>> First, I think asking for money for what you do and asking for help
>> on this forum is ok. but 350E seems a lot.
>>
>> 2nd, Fons gives MUCH MORE than he takes. I learn loads from him. He's
>> a valuable resource on this and other forums!
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Tinco Andringa <mail@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> So, since your name implies you make a living doing audio work with linux
>>> too, we should be charging you a fee when you ask something too?
>>>
>>> He's not saying from now on he asks money for help, he's just offering a
>>> service to people living near Rotterdam to have a regular help program, why
>>> shouldn't he be able to ask money for it?
>>>
>>> Isn't the goal of this list to help people to use linux audio
>>> professionally?

> First: we post our answers not at the top on the list is it?
>
> Second. A course can give the use of linux audio a 'boost'. We talked
> about the fact that it is not always easy for at least newbies to find
> your way in linux audio. Many people get lost and give up...
>
> So a course would be a very good thing in my view! :)
>
> Third: When you give a course it cost you: time, traveling costs
> (Brussels > R'dam) organization, making a course book (and copy it?) and
> linux audio usage, educational and presentation skills.... that could
> deserve some money....
>
> And I think it's free to make money out of GNU software... and we're
> free to join or not.
>
> But I agree also with all what Brad Fuller says.... and I think 350
> euro's is not cheap at all.... (!)

Depends...

350eur/person - 50eur/person cost (course material, venue, ...)
= 300eur/person

20ppl * 300eur = 6000eur
- 20% VAT = 4800eur

3hrs x 12 lessons = 36hrs

=> 133eur/hr

which, in Belgium, corresponds to a net wage of 40eur/hr

That's assuming that he doesn't spend time on the course material etc...
my experience with teaching is that you need at least one hour of prep
for each hour you teach.

so we're down to 20eur/hr. If he can manage to get 20people interested.

I agree that it's a lot of money, but if he plays by the (Belgian) tax
rules and provides a decent course, it's not that much. I don't know a
lot of experts that work for less than 20eur/hr, and that's without
taking any risk.

For comparison: in the government subsidized culture center in my city
they offer an introductory Cubase course of 5x2.5hrs for 135eur. Do the
math. (Note that participants have the option to BUY Cubase -50%...).

So my opinion: if he does it well, it's not too much. And it's optional,
unlike buying Cubase. In theory.

Greets,

Pieter