Re: [LAU] Linux audio course Rotterdam

From: Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 21:56:26 EEST

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Grammostola Rosea wrote:
>> Brad Fuller wrote:
>>> Sheesss....
>>> First, I think asking for money for what you do and asking for help
>>> on this forum is ok. but 350E seems a lot.
>>>
>>> 2nd, Fons gives MUCH MORE than he takes. I learn loads from him. He's
>>> a valuable resource on this and other forums!

>> First: we post our answers not at the top on the list is it?

Don't know, but yeah, I usually do on the bottom... just didn't that time.

>> But I agree also with all what Brad Fuller says.... and I think 350
>> euro's is not cheap at all.... (!)
>
> Depends...
>
> 350eur/person - 50eur/person cost (course material, venue, ...)
> = 300eur/person
>
> 20ppl * 300eur = 6000eur
> - 20% VAT = 4800eur
>
> 3hrs x 12 lessons = 36hrs
>
> => 133eur/hr
>
> which, in Belgium, corresponds to a net wage of 40eur/hr
>
> That's assuming that he doesn't spend time on the course material etc...
> my experience with teaching is that you need at least one hour of prep
> for each hour you teach.
>
> so we're down to 20eur/hr. If he can manage to get 20people interested.
>
> I agree that it's a lot of money, but if he plays by the (Belgian) tax
> rules and provides a decent course, it's not that much. I don't know a
> lot of experts that work for less than 20eur/hr, and that's without
> taking any risk.

The only issue I have with this POV is that product price is
determined by the market, not by one's cost. You clearly want to make
a profit if you're in business. But, if in business, and you can't
make a profit with a price that is marketable for your product, you
should look for other avenues of revenue.

350E is too high for me. ('course, I'd have to take a plane from CAL
so it would be REALLY expensive for me ;-) )

--
Brad Fuller
www.bradfuller.com