Re: [LAU] Aeolus, synthesized pipe organ

From: Stephen Doonan <stephen.doonan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 20 2008 - 22:06:36 EEST

The Other wrote:
> Thanks for the file, Stephen. I'd seen Aeolus before but didn't pursue
> it because I didn't know how to use it or what it sounded like.
>
> Upon hearing your file, my first impression was of my grandmother's
> pedal-pump organ (not a pipe) that she had in her house. That wind-up
> (Leslie organ type of effect) in the bass register reminds me of not
> pedal-pumping the organ at a constant rate. Ah, nostalgia.
>
> Thanks Fons, Stephen, for this introduction to Aeolus.

The file was fun to produce because I could play with Aeolus's stops
while the MIDI file was playing, catching those on-the-fly adjustments
in the final recording.

If one listens to aeolus with studio monitor (audio reference) speakers,
it sounds like an ideal recording of a great masterwork organ, without
of course the creaks and groans, whistles, hisses, clicks and other
mechanical noise such an organ might have (or have developed with age).

Aeolus is an awesome program that makes me anyway, a lifelong piano
player, now have an interest in learning to play organ (to develop
skills to play a multi-manual keyboard and pedalboard).

Steve