Re: [LAU] transform midi Control Change 7 into velocity events?

From: Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 22 2008 - 01:07:05 EET

On Friday 21 November 2008 13:27:18 Philippe Hezaine wrote:
> Bingo! I think it's the first time we get from a Lilypond file a midi
> file with velocities values. But for all you're right. Note that I
> cannot get a clean file with a loop in the same Rosegarden's session. I
> have freezes and even crashes. Hence i output the midi from Rg through
> mididings -> recording in Muse.

You probably need to disable "MIDI Thru Routing" in Rosegarden, otherwise
connecting Rg -> mididings -> Rg creates a MIDI feedback loop, and
Rosegarden doesn't like that...

> The raw outcome is in attach.

This file shows the problem I mentioned, with multiple tracks on the same
channel. In your original MIDI file, the volume of the Hi-Hat and Congas is
constant, but in this one, the velocity varies. Are you sure that's what
you want?

> 1) You could see a little latency in the attacks.

You're using JACK transport to synchronize Rg and Muse?
I can reproduce this latency, and it appears to depend on my JACK buffer
size. The recording seems to be off by one period, but I don't know yet why
this happens, or whose fault it is.
If you can get recording in Rg to work this won't be an issue.

But note that even with JACK transport out of the equation, there will be a
very slight latency, because unfortunately mididings doesn't preserve the
exact event timestamps. You may want to quantize the recorded data.

Cheers,

Dominic