Re: [LAU] transform midi Control Change 7 into velocity events?

From: Philippe Hezaine <philippe.hezaine@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 21 2008 - 14:27:18 EET

Dominic Sacré a écrit :
> On Thursday 20 November 2008 23:49:46 Philippe Hezaine wrote:
>>> I'm not sure mididings is the right tool for the job. The Python code
>>> to transform the events would be quite simple, but mididings doesn't
>>> support reading/writing MIDI files (yet?). You could of course use a
>>> separate MIDI player/recorder, and route the events through mididings,
>>> but you'd lose all meta information (tempo, time signature, etc.) from
>>> the original file.
>> Yes. I was sucessfull to loop a midi file with Jack and Rosegarden. The
>> outputs was routed through mididings and went back to Rg for a new
>> record on a new track. But it was not for this purpose and i didn't look
>> for the meta information.
>> But for now, if i have a copy about these informations may be i can try
>> again this experience? It isn't a piece of music, only a succession of
>> drums patterns. I can organize them to avoid different time signature...
>
> Recording to a new track in the same Rosegarden session is actually a very
> good idea, I didn't think of that... You wouldn't lose anything that way.
>
> As for the transformation, something like this should do the trick (not
> thoroughly tested):
>
> from mididings import *
>
> class Volume2Velocity:
> def __init__(self):
> self.vol = {}
> def __call__(self, ev):
> if ev.type_ == CTRL and ev.param == 7:
> self.vol[ev.channel] = ev.value
> return None
> elif ev.type_ == NOTEON and ev.channel in self.vol:
> ev.velocity = self.vol[ev.channel]
> return ev
>
> run(Call(Volume2Velocity()))
>
>>> As far as I can see, all tracks in your MIDI file are on the same
>>> channel, so CC #7 messages on one track will affect the other tracks as
>>> well. You should probably assign a different channel to each track.
>> No. Like i have said these are drums patterns written by Lilypond. After
>> the famous transformation i could join all the tracks in one if i want.
>
> Yes, but then you need to do the transformation one track at a time. If you
> play multiple tracks through the same MIDI port on the same channel, some
> notes will get the wrong velocity (unless every note event is immediately
> preceded by a volume change).
>

> Cheers,
>
> Dominic

Thanks too much for your time and your information.

Bingo! I think it's the first time we get from a Lilypond file a midi
file with velocities values. But for all you're right. Note that I
cannot get a clean file with a loop in the same Rosegarden's session. I
have freezes and even crashes. Hence i output the midi from Rg through
mididings -> recording in Muse.
The raw outcome is in attach.
1) You could see a little latency in the attacks.
2) I lose the Lilypond header
3) Strangely i can't open the new file with the drum editor in
Rosegarden though it is on channel 10. (meta information?)

Anyway, thanks so much.

Have fun.

--
   Phil.