Re: [LAU] How to do an online album release?

From: pete shorthose <zenadsl6252@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 17 2009 - 16:58:57 EET

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:26:22 -0500
"shane richards" <shanerich@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sometime in the next 3 months I hope to release a new album.
> I wish to completely avoid the record companies - as I got burned
> badly in the 90's - and they still don't seem to get the deal with
> regards to open, friendly licensing for 21st century.
>
> So I'm looking at releasing on the web independantly.

you may want to check out magnatune

main site:
http://www.magnatune.com

info:
http://www.magnatune.com/info/

business model:
http://www.magnatune.com/info/model

Perhaps not entirely independent but you keep copyright and can sell
your music elsewhere simultaneously. they take 50% of the sale price
with the rest going to the artist.

to quote the site:

"At Magnatune our artists retain all the rights to their own music. Each one signs a contract with Magnatune that allows us to license their music for commercial use. Unlike our competitors, we split the licensing fee directly with the artists, 50-50. Our artists love it when their work is licensed because it provides them with both income and exposure."

cheers,
pete.