Re: [LAU] Linux synths used on commercial Rock/Pop CD

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 28 2009 - 03:27:27 EEST

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:21:41PM +0100, Folderol wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:20:17 -0700
> Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > I'm happy to report that Linux softsynths have been used on a commercial pop/rock CD called "Lawler Rules".
> >
> > I did some studio work for them over the last year, and the CD is finally out. They produced it on a Mac with ProTools. I played keyboards on it and used exclusively Linux and Linux softsynths.
> >
> > http://www.myspace.com/lawlerrulesvol1
> >
> > I used AMS for the Moog and ZynAddSubFX for the synthy-string pad on "Cocaine Cowboys", and PHASEX for the ARP-y plinks on "Death". AZR3 is Hammond organ and Fluidsynth for piano on most of the songs, and Fluidsynth is also the bass on "Big Groove".
> >
> > If you like commercial classic rock, enjoy. Higher-resolution versions might end up for sale on Last.fm, Virb, CDBaby, or elsewhere.
> >
> > -ken
>
> Very nice!
>
> BTW how did you get on with your eeepc as a DAW?

Actually, I'm using the EEE as a softsynth, not a DAW.

It's working out rather well so far. I can run a couple Fluidsynths, an ecasound with a couple LADSPA plugins, and some other utilities, with no problems. Exactly what I wanted.

I also experimented with ecasound on it for doing some scratch ideas, and it works.

I also loaded Ardour on it, but Ardour is DOA on the EEE: the dialog boxes so frickin big that they don't fit in the EEE's small screen.

But the EEE is perfect as a low-power, light, highly portable softsynth. I've used it for some outdoor street music, and it's fantastic for that. Also very convenient for rehearsals and should be helpful for casual gigs too.

-ken