Re: [LAU] what's up with midi clock

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 29 2009 - 22:33:34 EEST

Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> So, I think the MIDI creators intended this:
>
> S Stop
> T T T T T T T T .....

I think so too...

> It presumes that none of the T's will be dropped and that everyone is
> working off the same score. But, for your purposes, you might try the S
> Tx24 like this:
>
> S S S
> T T T T .... T T T T .... T T T T
>
> That is, your T's happen at the right time, and the synchronization
> attempt with 'S' would precede the synchronization T pulse.

As mentioned the two clients I test against misbehaves with this,
running at 116-117 bpm instead of 112.

> I have a hardware synth that's constantly sending out the T, but never
> sends S.

Same with seq24 and ardour (although ardour seems to sending "midi time
code".

Note the following is not to bash ardour, just a simple observation. As
stated I know nothing about midi clock I'm just fooling around!

I tried syncing renoise with ardour and that didn't work out that well
(ardour master to compare with when my script was master). They seem to
stay in sync, but they have the downbeat different places. After
stop/start the downbeats are messed up in a new way.

Maybe it's all just a shitty old protocol that is finally being replaced
by stuff like jack transport (that works very reliable, actually
precisely between renoise and ardour).

Maybe I should stop thinking so much and just hack away something that
works for exactly my purpose (I only need to sync with sooperlooper),
however wrong (according to the standard) it is.

Still, I'd be interrested in any input, though...

--
Atte
http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk   http://virb.com/atte