Re: [LAU] what's up with midi clock

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabriel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 30 2009 - 22:46:16 EEST

Atte André Jensen wrote:
>> I would also try it _without_ the S.
>
> Then the tempo works just fine, however the two apps have different
> downbeats.

Does sooperlooper respond to Song Position Pointer (0xF2) and/or MIDI Continue
(0xFB)? You may be able to sync time using these instead of Song Start (0xFA).
  Song Position Pointer sends a 14-bit song position, followed by a MIDI
Continue which means ("start playing at that spot on the next clock tick"). The
14-bit song position is in "MIDI beats" since the beginning of the song. 6 MIDI
Clocks == 1 MIDI beat.

Also, I noticed that sooperlooper is determining tempo by some manner of rolling
average calculation. (Maybe it doesn't, but that's the way it *acts*.) If so,
that makes it even harder to get sooperlooper to sync to a downbeat.

> As just outlines in another post, the problem is a bit more complex, as
> is involves chuck which doesn't sync to anything. Also chuck and
> sooperlooper are running on two different laptops...

Right now, the laptop 2 has a chuck script that listens for OSC messages and
feeds sooperlooper a MIDI clock. Instead, you could write a simple C program
that listens for OSC messages and is the JACK transport master. Writing a
transport master is not very difficult.

Looks like Esben Stein did exactly this recently:

   http://www.nabble.com/JACK-Transport-td23135202.html

Also, perhaps netjack already has this ability.

HTH,
Gabriel