Re: [LAU] ableton live in vmware

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 31 2009 - 17:34:52 EEST

On 09/01/2009 12:09 AM, Michael Bohle wrote:

> A "free live", I don't mean a "proof of concept" like most of the music apps for Linux, what been usable for musicians, is a hard piece of work need time, man power, organization. I think, this can't be made by one person, that need a good team of "coder, interface designer, sound designer , djs and musicians" - the first step for the development is to form a team. Then collect the best pieces of free code code and concepts and use this for a "Free Live" -don't reinvent the wheel again. Use the audio engine of ardour, the midi engine of seq24, and all this disorganized scraps of code and concepts put together all this pieces in one really cool free and open daw.
>
> I would be a part of that team.

I don't think that there is much developer support for completely
reinventing or emulating AL as we already have several apps that take
care of the various functionality in AL very well. IMO we actually have
more power under the hood with the jack system than AL provides. What we
are missing is the integration and the pretty interface.

IMO the thing that is missing for people who come from an AL focused
environment is an interface that has the base functionality and allows
them to quickly build up a sample stack to play in a live setting.
Certainly seq24 has some of this functionality but the interface will
turn off a lot of AL users. Hydrogen IMO has a more friendly interface
design that will be more appealing to AL users.

Hydrogen supports playing midi sequences, and audio samples. It is
currently missing the backend functionality to play multiple sequences
with individual bpm settings at the same time. It is also missing a
sampler grid interface which AL users expect as a standard.

For simple recording, generating and editing we have jack. However
Hydrogen also has some of this functionality in place already.

It is also possible to enable a Hydrogen sampler ui to control a jacked
synth/looper. However if you have a hardware controller then it may be
unnecessary to go through another app like Hydrogen. Just assign the
controls and make sure you remember which is which.

Anyway, I'm putting my money on a solution built on Hydrogens codebase.
The simpler the better.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd