Re: [LAU] which audio synthesis environment?

From: Atte Andre Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 11 2009 - 14:47:13 EEST

Grammostola Rosea wrote:

> And why don't you use puredata, with csound for example?

You mean controlling csound by algorithms from pure data? I never got
the grip of doing intensive logic in pd. In chuck I can just do a
if-then-else, like

while(true)
if(nb_notes_played >= Std.rand2(5,9)){
        0 => osc.gain;
        Time.beat() * Std.rand(2,5) => now;
        1 => osc.gain;
        0 => nb_notes_played;
} else {
        Std.mtof(Global.randomArrayElement(scale)) => osc.freq;
        Time.beat() * 0.5 * Std.rand(1,3) => now;
        nb_notes_played++;
}

Did you get that? Plays phrases of 5-9 notes with lengths between a 1/8
note and a dotted 1/4 note, frequencies randomly selected from a scale.
In between phrases make a rest of between 1 to 5 beats.

The above is not tested, assumes some defs to go before it, and is not
that pretty. But (when tested) it works, it took my < 1 min to write
here and it's easy to play around with lengths of notes and rests, try
other scales, put restraints on note selection (use your counterpoint
rules), etc.

--
Atte
http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk   http://virb.com/atte