Re: [LAU] which audio synthesis environment?

From: Atte Andre Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 13 2009 - 21:25:12 EEST

Grammostola Rosea wrote:

> In my search to an environment I got the feeling that SuperCollider is a
> more modern language, a language for the future so to say.

I tend to agree. However don't dismiss either pd or csound too early.
They are both very powerful pieces of software, that let's you do very,
very deep stuff. Each has it's advantages (enough for many a flame war),
granted, but still, all are very powerful.

> It's better
> suitable to compete those VST plugins maybe...
> I can see that is seems to be more easy to make a PD gui, but this
> should be possible with SC too right? Don't know if the language is
> ready for that yet.

May I ask if you checked out any of the grand three and the baby one
(csound, pd, super collider and chuck)?

If not, I have to repeat the almost generic advise often given here: Get
your feet a little bit wet with each (do a tutorial, for instance) to
get a quick overview of what they can do and how they feel.

Then pick one, stick wíth it, work with it, live with it, create music
in it. Even if you later find you should switch, you'll have a much
better idea what you need what you don't need, and it's not that much
trouble to learn the next one.

> Please post also a message to the SC mailinglist, then you get a more
> general/objective view...

Done.

--
Atte