Re: [LAU] Prog rock instrumental, sort-of WIP

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 01 2009 - 14:56:39 EET

Ken Restivo wrote:
>> Hi Lutz
>>
>> Thanks for listening and commenting, hope you don't mind me pinging my
>>
>> I'm glad you like it. I plan on diving back in, but be warned I'm a very
>> slow worker -- being a frustrated perfectionist is no help in getting
>> things done quickly either :D
>>
>> I've posted this over on the KVR Audio forum as well and someone there
>> suggested going into a heavier, more rocking section. Sadly, the two
>> loud sections are probably about as heavy as I get -- there will be
>> further loud/heavyish segments but none more loud (my 11 is too quiet!).
>> I also have a bit of an aversion to straightahead/"real" rock. You have
>> made me think, though, that a loud section might be a wise move, going
>> loud/loud rather than always alternating loud/quiet.
>>
>> I was really pleased at how smoothly and natural-feeling the 13/8
>> section turned out. Ever since I learnt what a buchimish was (it's a
>> Bulgarian dance), I've wanted to do something in that rhythm. It's
>> actually 15/16 time rather than 15/8: 2+2+2+2+3+2+2, or as I count
>> things taka taka taka taka takita taka taka
>>

> Very cool rhythm. Most of the Bulgarian stuff I've heard is in what I thought was 7/4; perhaps it was in this 15/16.
>
> I did one some years ago in 5+5+2 (with a turnaround in 5/4 + 5/4 + 9/8 every few measures):
> http://www.restivo.org/blog/podpress_trac/web/96/0/552-0.2.3.ogg
>
> Fun with Hydrogena and Ardour. Could you imagine trying to describe to a real drummer: "Now, this song is in....."?
>
> -ken

The wikipedia page on Bulgarian dances has quite a list of them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgarian_dances

Most of them seem to be in 16 time, so I guess they have a lot of fast,
energetic dances. Several are in 8 time though.

That's a very interesting groove in that piece of yours, I enjoyed that.

I suppose it depends on your definition of real drummer. I'm sure
someone like Bruford would be okay with it and then there's the whole
math rock genre...