Re: [LAU] What kind of sample(er)s etc for classical music

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 01 2009 - 23:28:35 EET

Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello Lorenzo!
> For the GigaSampler there were a few Garritan products, I seem to remember,
> that they were quite nice. they definitely had some strings,I know one of the
> LinuxSampler guys used those strings in a piece.
> Beyond that: I know, that sampletekk has a nice set of orchestral brass,
> which suite me fine, even for not so orchestral work. But then I'm stomped.
> There should be a second hand market for the old GigaSampler/GigaStudio
> products, which have gone out of sale.
> Besides that I'd say Wine and VSTIs, or perhaps someone has experience with
> Kontakt samples, they are en vogue now, I believe.
> Kindest regards
> Julien

Hi

If Sampletekk's pianos are anything to go by (I own their Black Grand,
White Grand and White Sister), their other instruments should be stunning.

There are some orchestral Giga format samples out there under the name
Prosonus. I believe they are quite old. I've read reviews that suggest
they are okay (i.e. by no means great but not atrocious) and that's the
experience I've had with the one subset I got (orchestral percussion and
harp, but I desperately needed a cheap harp, plus celeste, tubular bells
and glockenspiel always come in handy).

Just doing a quick googling, I turned up a 5-CD orchestral set, but it's
a fairly hefty $295, here's the link:

http://www.soundsonline.com/Advanced-Orchestra-SET-GIGA-pr-BS-228_V1-5.html

I've just found that same set on a different site for $198, along with
quite a few other Giga format sets:

http://www.eastwestsamples.com/

...and you can find all the Giga samples from the dropdown menu.

I'm sure there'll be other stuff out there.

Cheers