Re: [LAU] What kind of sample(er)s etc for classical music

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 02 2009 - 02:16:54 EET

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Lorenzo <lsutton@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>> As for orchestral samples there are lots. Garritan makes a fairly low
>> cost player that actually gets bundled with some other products. I got
>> a copy with a recent Acid Pro update. In orchestral I don't think it
>> makes sense to go cheap. If you have (very) deep pockets then look
>> into the Vienna suites.
>>

> But in this case what do you do use Wine?
>
> Lorenzo

No, I use Windows for Windows apps. I use Linux for Linux apps. I
have a couple of dedicated outboard machines running Windows for
VST's, samplers and the like. To me using Windows this way is no
different than using a hardware synth. I prefer to make music vs make
political statements.

In my world these days:

Gentoo: Ardour, Jamin, a few synths like ChucK & Zyn
Windows: GigaStudio, Battery, Acid Pro, Guitar Rig, an old version or
Reaktor Session

Some Windows audio apps will run under Wine but I've pretty much given
up on using that myself. Too much work and not enough support.

In case you're not aware there is a free downloadable Kontakt Player.
Not sure if it has fixed sounds or whether you can load your own Gigs
but you might check out whether it runs under Wine. My experience with
NI apps is that they mostly work in Wine, or used to. Battery runs
really well, Guitar Rig not at all, Reaktor Session mostly.

I just don't have the patience to want to deal with the few problems
that come up when I have a few old Windows boxes and too maky sound
cards just sitting here gathering dust.

- Mark