Re: [LAU] open hw soundcard (was Re: status usb2 for sound)

From: Karl Hammar <karl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 11 2009 - 18:48:33 EET

Folderol:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:34:14 +0100 (CET)
> karl@email-addr-hidden (Karl Hammar) wrote:
> > Ken Restivo:
> > > Instead of messing with USB2 protocols, design a board that
> > > attaches a ADC/DAC to a microcontroller and shoves the raw floats
> > > in and out over... Gigabit Ethernet??!
> > Yes, or maybe raw ADC ints.
> The idea or ints (or long ints if there is bandwidth and ADC accuracy)
> appeals to me because there would be no additional latency.

So we have two proposals:

 Plan A: netjack
 Plan B: raw ADC data, and let "master" pc take care of the rest

> > > I don't know if any of the cheap microcontrollers out there-- or
> > > the free network stacks available for them-- could also handle the
> > > speed of a large amount of audio.
> >
> > My near future project will use AT91SAM9260 (arm9, 32bit, 200MHz),
> > and linux.
>
> Sounds interesting.

Please look at git://aspodata.se/openhw.git, comments are welcome.

> > 4, refine the ADC part to satisfaction
> The rules are
> 1 Layout
> 2 Layout
> 3 Layout
> :)

Ok..., can you alborate on your point 2, I didn't get that part:)

> > 7b, add channels
> I'd be more interested in that actually. I'd be thinking of not just
> microphones anyway.

What, then, would the preliminary spec to aim to be ?

Regards,
/Karl