Re: [LAU] instructional videos ?

From: <vogel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 11 2009 - 19:02:33 EET

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Phillips" <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
To: "LAU" <linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 5:07 AM
Subject: [LAU] instructional videos ?

> Greetings,
>
> As many of you know, the Linux Journal has been running video
> presentations in lieu of some written articles. They've asked me to make
> a few, so I thought I'd ask on this list to find out what topics LAU
> folk might want to see illuminated via video. Feel free to suggest any
> relevant topic, whether in the production realm or desktop entertainment.
>
> FYI: Current systems running here include JAD 1.0, 64 Studio 2.1 and
> 3.0b, and Ubuntu Jaunty. I finally got a copy of a recent Fedora and
> will install Planet C on one of these machines too.
>
> So, what would you like to see from Studio Dave ?
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Hi Dave,

I am running an AMD64 machine and having difficulty with Ubuntu 9.10, so
soon I could be
shopping for another distribution.

Knowing that you run multiple distributions, could you compare the
advantages of each ?

* Is there one with a RT kernel ?
* Which ones will Rosegarden NOT complain that timing is not fast enough ?
* Which is easiest to configure ?
* Is Pulseaudio a good addition...or is it a problem ?
* Which ones are reasonably up to date ?
* Which ones require, or would be best with, a kernel recompile ?
* Which have the best support (paid or otherwise) ?
* Which is best for 64 bit machines ? Which applications need to be upgraded
for 64 bit architecture ?

These are but a few of the questions that come to mind.

Your thoughts ?

Bob