Re: [LAU] OT: online music promition/what do you think of bandcamp?

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 16 2009 - 10:45:32 EET

Lorenzo wrote:

> Btw, I didn't say I love flash :) what I mean is that it look we're
> stuck with it as it's being used by most hosting providers.

I don't love flash either, I love my wife and kids :-)

>> the possibility of easy donation, the spread the word on
>> facebook/twitter feature, the selection of download formats, the
>> scalability (bandwidth) and more.
> But really these aren't flash-dependent... you could probably easily set
> them all up on your own website. The only real advantage of this kind of
> site is hosting.

Interesting, hmmm. Should be possible. Could you post links to a few
sites that does this in an elegant way?

I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure it's also possible to pay with
other things than paypal (for instance visa) on bandcamp. For those not
having a paypal account (I guess about 95% of the people I know bought
my first CD) this makes a great difference. This surely isn't possible
(without hastle + expences) to setup yourself.

This is all guesswork for me, since I haven't run anything but linux for
10 years, but my feeling is that "all the other users" (those with evil
OS'es) don't care or think about flash. They just surf around and
occasionally hit a play button on a music page, flash or not.

--
Atte
http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk   http://virb.com/atte