Re: [LAU] OT: online music promition/what do you think of bandcamp?

From: torbenh <torbenh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 16 2009 - 19:02:21 EET

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:54:11AM -0500, nescivi wrote:
> On Monday 16 November 2009 02:56:03 Atte Andr? Jensen wrote:
> > Lorenzo wrote:
> > > But seriously, what is the current realistic alternative to Flash for
> > > embedding audio/video content on web pages?
> >
> > Although I honestly respect the opinions of people disliking flash, I
> > tend to agree. The other real alternative is direct download and the
> > benefits of what bandcamp offers are great for the "provider" (in this
> > case me), the possibility of easy donation, the spread the word on
> > facebook/twitter feature, the selection of download formats, the
> > scalability (bandwidth) and more.
> >
> > I'm still listening to any opinion, though, that's why I asked :-)
>
> It's not so much about disliking for me, it just half the time doesn't work on
> my system, when I'm using Iceweasel.
> And often there is no alternative to even see the website, which leaves me out
> of information I would have liked to read or see for that matter.

well... i think its a political question. install a binary or not ?

if you dont want binaries. use swfdec which is the default for debian.
however i couldnt even open youtube videos. iE nothing worked.

so i decided to install a binary from adobe.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/libflashplayer-10.0.32.18.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz

this is an archive with just an .so ... put it into
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/

(i am using iceweasel too)
use flashblock plugin, and its ok, because you control, which flash
components you want to see, and which not.

its even possible to add a native jack output to flash.
git clone git://repo.or.cz/libflashsupport-jack.git

however it doesnt behave nicely when jack is not active, and it still
sometimes seems to crash.