Re: [LAU] PSU question

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 07 2009 - 21:09:49 EET

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> No way to know what they will offer but the NewEgg Shell Shocker Sneak
>> Peak says the Friday afternoon deal this week will be a PC power
>> supply. If you're not in a big hurry you could wait for that. Shell
>> Shocker deals typically are pretty good products at rock bottom prices
>> and free shipping. Great stuff if it's what you're looking for.
>>

> Hey, thanks for the tip, Mark. I'll wait until Friday to see what they
> offer, no need to rush. I have an account with Newegg already and have
> always been satisfied with their service.
>
> I checked out the specs for a couple of Zalman's PSUs. Nice hardware but the
> prices are a bit steep. At this point I'm leaning towards Ray R's
> recommendation (Antec EarthWatts 500), but I will wait for the Friday Newegg
> special.

I think that's a good plan. Are you signed up for the Shell Shocker
email? If not try to remind me Friday morning and I'll send the info.

> Btw, the machine also had a dead RAM stick, one I bought from Crucial. You
> once told me that they have a very good replacement policy, and indeed it
> looks like they'll replace it at no charge. Nice policy, definitely makes me
> consider Crucial before buying memory elsewhere.

Yep. They've replaced memory for me twice over the years and even send
the new memory before receiving the old memory back. (Charged my card
and then removed the charge when it arrived.) Never a squeek about
whether the memory was good or bad. If there was a memtest86 failure
they were willing to replace it.

The Friday morning Shell Shocker is a new case which I'm going to need
when I build my new machine after the first of the year...

Good luck,
Mark