Re: [LAU] Native Linux VSTs !!

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 17 2009 - 10:30:15 EET

Lorenzo wrote:

> Sorry but I'm still not sure if I understand correctly.

That's ok, it's a bit fuzzy annyhow :-)

> To be a little clear, what I mean is 'what to do with the .so'?

Depends on the host. Renoise looks in standard locations + ~/.vst +
what's in the environmen variable $VST_PATH.

> And can
> they work *without* steinberg vst etc.

I'm not sure what you mean. Mosts hosts have other means than vst to
both generate sound and add fx. So they could operate "by themselves"
without any vst. If you mean "do I need to install something from
steinberg", then no. Just your host and place the vsts (.so) in the
prober location, and you're set.

If you want to *compile* vst plugins from source, you need a copy of the
steinberg SDK, which can be downloaded from their web page. I think
there is some opensource replacement for this SDK, but I'm not sure.

> In this case which applications
> support .so?

ardour (open source), qtractor (open source), renoise (closed source)
and energyXT (closed source) are the ones I know, there might be others,
though.

> Otherwise what is the real advantage of using 'native' vst (.so) vs
> windows vst (.dll), given that FST - for instance - will work with any
> jack-enabled applications.

I never used fst, but I think windows vsts loaded here will not
integrate with with your host as nicely. I guess they should be loaded
in another application (fst?) which will appear as a second jack client
and then you can send audio to that using jack. But I'm only guessing here.

--
Atte
http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk