Re: [LAU] [Packet-in-user] Bye, bye february :-)

From: frank pirrone <frankpirrone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 15 2010 - 23:17:32 EET

rosea grammostola wrote:
> frank pirrone wrote:
>
>> drew Roberts wrote:

>>> "The purpose of our band is to free music. We want to be able to play what we
>>> want, using Free Software tools, and allow others to take that music and do
>>> with it what they want. Feel free to check out our Current events and see
>>> what we are up to right now. "
>>>
>>> I think it was Free music with Free tools from the break.
>>>

>> I stand clarified. Freedom was even our "theme" for RPM09, and our CC
>> by SA further indication...
>>

> Is LinuxSampler considered to be Free?
> And can you use commercial samples for Hydrogen?
>
> \r

Drew's voice is more authoritative than mine by virtue of his deeper
involvement in these issues, but since you replied to my message, I'd
say if it's GPL or LGPL it's free - along with other acceptable licenses
such as Apache and BSD or whatever that wouldn't likely apply to the
audio software we're talking about. If it's not, it's not.

I mean, Rosea, the point is clearer than the means of circumventing or
obfuscating it: The original collaboration was based upon having
everything be Free - the OS, the apps, the libraries, samples, and not
least the work itself. We wanted to do that for philosophical reasons
and for reasons of advocacy, and as Kevin suggests, to simply
demonstrate that it could be done.

We produced some pretty good music, IMHO, and enjoyed each other's
company, and had some real fun along the way. If that isn't proof of
concept I don't know what else would be.

Frank