[LAU] quick follow-on to the RPM2010 thread

From: frank pirrone <frankpirrone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 15 2010 - 23:55:30 EET

Been a chaotic day of poly-tasking so as I switched my brain-state
momentarily back to Rosea's question and my last reply I realized I
wanted to state the essence of the issue, if for no other reason than to
re-focus on it in my own mind, and to simply hear myself say it.

I know the world doesn't need me to issue any kind of statement on the
matter of OS/software Freedom but the underlying philosophical
commitment of the original Packet-In collaboration for RPM08 was the
purest application of the concept and the practice. EVERYthing about
what we did was Free, and for all the classical reasons. We used all
free OS and software tools and offered our work under CC by SA also as
unencumbered and Free.

We wanted to be able to "give" everything to anyone interested in
revisiting our work, retracing our footsteps, remixing and extending
what we created - building up and out from where we left off.

Nobody said it better than Newton in his comment about seeing further by
standing upon the shoulders of giants. LOL, we are NOT the giants in
that metaphor...well, actually we are but modesty, if not reality,
compels me to reject any such characterization.

I mean, this is the essence of what was always the academic way, and the
scientific way, and the philosophical way...before the Age of
Intellectual Property, Copyrights, and Patents. Knowledge built upon
freely shared prior knowledge, and tools inspiring the creation of
greater tools.

We hoped others might build upon our music and anticipated the delight
at hearing a remix, or someone substituting their soaring vocals or
guitar for my humble efforts. It never happened, but I can't think of a
greater "reward" for what we did should it ever.

So, think of it as a kit that you can Freely give to anyone who is
interested, and who can in turn Freely pass it on, inside which are ALL
the parts needed to first do everything we did but more importantly to
start at that point and do something we never imagined.

Frank