Re: [LAU] Questions on New Recording Gear

From: Ectropic Harmony <ectropic.harmony@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 22 2010 - 23:21:55 EET

Okay, I'd like to try this arrangement with the
cables/patch-bays/etc., though I currently need monitor speakers and
am just using headphones-

From sources to mixer:
1. 4 XLRs (mics) into Mackie strips 1-4
2. 1 Line In (from guitar amp "Line Out") into Mackie strip 5
3. 1 Line In (from another amp "Line Out") into Mackie strip 6
4. 2 Line Ins (from "Master Out" (L&R) of elec.drumset) into Mackie strip "9-10"
(Also hooking elec.drumset's MIDI up to the Delta 1010 dig.rec.system)
(Also hooking up USB/MIDI keyboard/controller to computer)

From mixer to digital recording system:
5. 4 TRSs (from Mackie Direct Outs 1-4) into Delta inputs 1-4
6. 1 TRS (from Mackie Direct Out 5) into Delta input 5
7. 1 TRS (from Mackie Direct Out 6) into Delta input 6
8. 2 TRSs (from Mackie Sub Outs 1-2, with "1-2" enabled) into Delta inputs 7-8

From digital recording system to mixer:
9. 2 TRSs (from Delta Outs 1-2) into Mackie strip "13-14", with "L/R" enabled
10. 2 TRSs (from Delta Outs 3-4) into Mackie strip "15-16", with "L/R" enabled
11. 1 TRS (from Delta out 5) into Mackie strip 7, with "L/R" enabled
12. 1 TRS (from Delta out 6) into Mackie strip 8, with "L/R" enabled
13. 2 TRSs (from Delta outs 7-8) into Mackie strip "11-12", with "L/R" enabled

From mixer to PA:
14. 2 TRSs (from Mackie Main Outs L&R) into PA channels 1 & 2

From PA to speakers:
15. 2 TRSs (from the 2 PA Outs) into 2 monitor speakers

I don't know... would that set-up work?

My hunch is using the PA is overkill in a home recording situation,
though perhaps appropriate in a live setting. It has 4 channels, so
that opens up an additional 2 free channels for 1 more stereo source.
Right?

Well, that's my attempt at using every single strip on the mixer. ;) I
hope I didn't totally mutilate the patching order.

Here's my attempt at a more immediate set-up for home recording and
monitoring via headphones:

From sources to mixer:
1. 4 XLRs (mics) into Mackie strips 1-4
2. 1 Line In (from guitar amp "Line Out") into Mackie strip 5
3. 1 Line In (from another amp "Line Out") into Mackie strip 6
4. 2 Line Ins (from "Master Out" (L&R) of elec.drumset) into Mackie strip "9-10"
(Also hooking up elec.drumset's MIDI to the Delta 1010 dig.rec.system)
(Also hooking up USB/MIDI keyboard/controller to computer)

From mixer to digital recording system:
5. 4 TRSs (from Mackie Direct Outs 1-4) into Delta inputs 1-4
6. 1 TRS (from Mackie Direct Out 5) into Delta input 5
7. 1 TRS (from Mackie Direct Out 6) into Delta input 6
8. 2 TRSs (from Mackie Sub Outs 1-2, with "1-2" enabled) into Delta inputs 7-8

From digital recording system to mixer:
9. 2 TRSs (from Delta Outs 1-2) into Mackie strip "15-16", with "L/R" enabled
(Using the Delta Outs 1-2 as Main Mix)

From mixer to headphones:
10. Enable "Main Mix 'Source'" on Mackie & adjust phones volume w/
phones in phones port "A" on the Mackie

I do plan on getting monitor speakers, and I do have normal computer
speakers (Harmon-Kardon "2.1", not sure how I could implement those in
this set-up) but I'll need to otherwise make do with headphones for
now.

I'd like to be able to use the 6 extra Delta Outs, the Mackie's subs
3-4, all of the extra Sub Outs on the back of the Mackie, the
remaining two Direct outs (7 & 8) on the Mackie, the remaining Ins on
the Mackie (7, 8, 11-12, & 13-14), and of course the Aux features
would be auxsome... I mean awesome. All in due time. :)

Anyway, did I do anything wrong with the patch set-ups above, in
particular the 2nd one - with 10 steps - that ends up monitoring via
headphones?

Thanks!