Re: [LAU] MIDI & real instruments combined in Ardour

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 27 2010 - 20:04:03 EET

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Ectropic Harmony
<ectropic.harmony@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> for the second part, consider paying the guys who produce PianoTeq.
>> there are other options (such as LinuxSampler with a decent piano
>> sample library) but PianoTeq is just cool and they released a version
>> for Linux at the same time as their Windows and OS X release. worth
>> rewarding IMO. the program gives you *insane* control over the piano
>> sound - its physical modelling, not sample playback.
>
> I just checked out PianoTeq. It's impressive. The only downside is
> that it's 249 €, which is $350 (USD). I recently purchased my
> recording gear, so am currently unable to put more money into things.
> Perhaps in the future but I'll have to stick with open source for now.
> Though thank you for the recommendation! :-) I'll keep their main page
> bookmarked for future reference.

That's a pretty good price. By comparison, EWQL Pianos Gold is about
$350, the full version is nearly $500. And it doesn't run at all on
Linux. And PianoTeq runs on Linux with Jack support and doesn't
require 50 GB of hard drive space. Kudos to PianoTeq for providing a
Linux version (although I imagine it's only standalone rather than a
plugin)

-- Brett