Re: [LAU] SMPTE timecode?

From: plutek-infinity <plutek@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 17 2010 - 19:08:28 EET

>Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:38:38 -0500
>From: Paul Davis <paul@linuxaudiosystems.com>
>
>On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Rick Green <rtg@aapsc.com> wrote:
>> I'll be soing a field recording next week for a DVD music production.  Is
>> it possible to record an SMPTE timecode on a spare track?  I've found some
>> references on the web to something called LTC, which apparently is SMPTE
>> encoded thru an audio codec.
>>  Is there any support in Ardour that would use this information to make
>> post-production easier?
>
>Ardour understands only timecode as MTC (MIDI Timecode) : same data,
>different format.
>
>There are a couple of small tools around that will accept LTC and
>function as the JACK time master.
>Someone else and/or google will have to come up with the names.

i was looking for something along these lines a few years ago. here's a discussion which, i think, represents the current state-of-the-art (it's not much!):

http://old.nabble.com/Utility-to-read-SMPTE-LTC-"audio"-time-code-td22937033.html

ltcsmpte is here:
http://ltcsmpte.sourceforge.net/

if you look at the svn repository, you'll see jltc, which is an example jack app to read LTC and display SMPTE (and, i think, control JACK transport). i haven't recently needed any such thing, so i'm not sure what the current usability of this tool is. it's likely that there's "some assembly required"!

i don't know of anything else under linux for this sort of thing.

cheers!

--
.pltk.