Re: [LAU] ambiophonics vs. ambisonics?

From: Martin Leese <martin.leese@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 28 2010 - 21:38:32 EET

"Bearcat M. Sandor" <hometheater@email-addr-hidden-soul.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 08:42 -0700, Martin Leese wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 22:42 -0700, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:
>> > Am i correct in my
>> > understanding, that nothing can be utilized by ambisonic processing
>> > during playback if the source material is only stereo?
>>
>> Nope. Domestic Ambisonic decoders have a
>> Super Stereo mode for "decoding" stereo
>> sources. They also include a stereo width
>> control which allows the stereo image to be
>> compressed to mono-like or expanded into a
>> horseshoe around the listener.
>
> Wow. That looks really cool. I've only heard an ambiophonic system and
> was impressed.
>
> If Super Stereo can recreate the sound that the mics originally heard,
> what does ambiophonics do that ambisonics can't?

If your mic was a stereo mic then nothing can
recreate the original sound. There is not
enough information.

> Does ambisonics cancel cross talk as well (like ambiophonics does)?

Ambisonics and Ambiophonics couldn't be
more different. As Fons suggested, a toaster
versus a lawn mower; which is better depends
on whether you want to toast bread or to cut
grass.

> I'm assuming also that Super Stereo is not anything like the crappy DSP
> modes that one found in cheap AC3 converters about 10 years back,
> particularly on Sony equipment (Hall, Arena, Church) where bad reverb
> was just added artificially, right?

Super Stereo adds nothing to the stereo
source.

I must suggest that it is about time you started
reading the numerous references people have
given you. Nobody can do this for you.

Regards,
Martin

--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org